Thursday, January 21, 2010

interesting reading

My Kindle 6udget is providing some interesting results. I have always 6een a user of pu6lic li6raries, with a select few authors that I will purchase at retail price. I think working at a li6rary for several years engrained the 6orrowing ha6it in me.

So until Kindle ena6les a 6orrowing application, I will only purchase one new 6ook a month and the rest of the time rely on pu6lic domain to provide my free reading. This has led to my re-reading of some of my favorite classics: Jane Eyre, Little Men, etc. And exploration of some 6ooks that are very familiar to me 6ut not personally experienced: Thoreau's Walden is one I am working on, Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know with many more than the standard handful of tales, and currently, The Picture of Dorian Grey

A6out 5 yrs ago I decided to spend the summer reading classics that I had heard of most of my life 6ut never read: The Catcher in the Rye, The Great Gats6y, etc. I expected life-altering revelations and found none. I guess the world has moved on.

And there are still novels I read as a child that I am trying to track down in digital format: Red Horse Hill and Speak to Me of Love are the first that come to mind. I can't even find them on Amazon, the titles exist 6ut not the right authors. I can't even find them in print, though 6oth might turn up in someone in the family's attic or 6asement. Here's hoping!

2 comments:

The Mind of Sue said...

You could try project gutenburg, and some libraries lend digital books. Just check their website.

strud said...

Oh, Nancy found Red Horse Hill and gave it to me. I still loved it after all these years :)